Home is...

Finals are done!! After one too many pro-crastinated papers and one too few hours in which to study for exams, I am quite able to say that the fall 2009 semester has finished! (See the bottom of this post for some good studying/pump-up music.) The picture to the right is of my floor; we blew up a balloon for each of the finals we had to take/final papers we had to write and upon completion of each task popped the balloon. Needless to say, we were quite motivated to finish our academic responsibilities and come back to the floor to celebrate. :-) My roommate Carrie and I bid a bittersweet farewell this past Friday; we went to lunch at one of our favorite local places (The Atomic Cafe in Beverly--the BEST sandwiches and frozen lemonade!) before heading home--I the three hours to Connecticut and she the sixteen to Michigan.
Well, it should have taken me three hours; with all the traffic and accidents--I was right behind a collision--it took just under five, but a classic rock radio station kept me wonderful company, and I arrived home safely and unscathed. The Christmas tree that I wasn't home to cut down has already been decorated, and it's weird to feel like I've missed out a little bit on my family's celebrations. But I DID arrive home at the same time as a fruit basket that my floor sent me for Christmas. Grapes, strawberries, melons and pineapple were arranged in somewhat of a fruit bouquet, and didn't last too long with this hungry traveler...:-) This break will be a good one, and this is well-deserved. Apart from shenanigans with friends and festivities with family, I plan on getting some good reading in--East of Eden (John Steinbeck), The Dharma Bums (Jack Kerouac) and A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines (Janna Levin) have all been in progress for some time now, but it's always nice to have time set apart to engage in some literary indulgences.
My best this Christmas, as we all celebrate with great joy the incarnation of our savior who, as C. S. Lewis says, leaves all other renderings of the Messiah in ruins--this, THIS is Christ the King! Joyeux Noel, friends.

And now, my finals-success playlist--with links!:

1901 (Phoenix)
Suffragette City (David Bowie)
Idiot Wind (Bob Dylan)
Jet Airliner (Steve Miller Band)
Looking For Shelter (Good Old War)
Living in America (Aztec Two-Step)
Play With Fire (The Rolling Stones)
Laundry Room (The Avett Brothers)
This Baby (Steven Curtis Chapman)
Just Breathe (Pearl Jam)