on the good life

In the freshman seminar for which I am a teaching assistant, we've been discussing Peter Kreeft's book "Back to Virtue," a book in which Kreeft argues our postmodern society's need to return to lives of courage, purity, mercy, and other characteristics in accord with the Beatitudes. Our lives that seem so far removed from the old-fashioned values have instead, Kreeft suggests, been replaced with complacency and apathy, and the students in my class and I wrestled through that seemingly great divide. Some of our hypotheses stemmed from the idea that life has gotten complicated due to such things as social awareness (and thus political correctness) and technology (and thus increased independence and lack of identity). Moving away from the simple life has created all sorts of desires to return, to cultivate truth, beauty and goodness, to quote the old philosophers, and I discovered some of those on Friday night.
Wanting to do something a little out of the ordinary, I took some of the girls on my floor to a nearby McDonald's for dinner on Friday, where we enjoyed feasting off the dollar menu and eavesdropping on a family celebrating a surprise birthday nearby. Hearing the delighted squeals of children as they opened their toys (Nerf-like foam guns and Strawberry Shortcake dolls--fun!) and enjoying the company of good friends and the taste of those good and greasy french fries, something made sense; the good life, endeavored, is just that: enjoying the simplicity of good food and the great gift of good friends and wonderful conversation, laughing about nothing and soaking in the love that God has been gracious enough to offer children that want to love and serve Him. And that is just so good.

Grace and peace this week as the good life is sought and, as God grants, found--even in the small and unexpected ways.