On the road

My RA staff and I went on our fall semester staff retreat two weekends ago. One of my RD’s friends owns a farmhouse in rural New Hampshire, so for two glorious days we relaxed, shared parts of our testimonies, played all sorts of games (“Pit,” with its fast-paced Wall Street-trading finesse, is a new favorite) and simply enjoyed each other’s company in front of a real fireplace. And there were s’mores. Lots and lots of s’mores. Plenty of laughs and stomachs full of home-cooked food later, we returned to Gordon rested and happy. It’s good to be back after time away, the people and memories of this place becoming more and more like a second home with each passing day spent here. Today particularly felt like Fall, the crisp, cool air matching the leaves that are beginning to show their true colors in the woods surrounding the campus. Back home in Connecticut this time of the year is marked by the arrival of “leaf peepers,” which are not actually frogs but rather tourists from the lesser-foliaged regions of New York driving up the highway to take in the glorious reds, oranges and yellows to which we in New England have become accustomed. I’m enjoying a piece of homemade zucchini bread as I type this, eagerly welcoming the autumn and hope which always culminates in CHRISTMAS (!!!!) and the excitement that is promised as all creation seems to wait in eager anticipation of new life. Ah, this truly is a wonderful journey. Grace and peace this day.