On making a home

With a rather intense week of Resident Advisor training squarely under my belt and the 2009-2010 school year already well underway, I can proudly say I've been prepped and readied to return to service in Ferrin Hall, my wonderful home for the past two years. Ferrin has served me well, and will serve me well for a third year, I’m sure; the community bathrooms, straight hallways and communal lounges all lend something special to the residence life experience. I'm blessed to be serving with and on a superb staff; the training process has molded us into a close group of friends, and the enthusiasm that flows from their hearts and minds is invigorating.
The resident advisor role is at times a bit nebulous: I am equal parts events coordinator, spiritual mentor, academic advisor, mom, sister, friend...the hats are many, and they change often. But I've been called first and foremost to be faithful to the Lord, to serve Him, and have every other action and word be of the overflow of that love, and I’ve only seen that produce good fruit so far; we’re currently in the throes of an “open door war,” where the RA on charge for the night tallies up the number of open doors on each floor; at the end of the quad the floor with the highest percentage will have earned a tidy sum of money, which my floor hopes to win and put towards floor shirts. My residents have appointed “door police” to patrol the floor to such an end, and so far, I’m excited to report, we’re in the lead. Feeding off such energy is exhilarating, and I’m only more encouraged to love and serve these amazing women. To life!